|Consulate General of India
Right to Information
|History of Indian
diplomatic representation in Australia
The Consulate General of India was established in Sydney in 1941 as the Trade Commission of India.
The First Trade Commissioner was Mr. R.R. Saxena of the Imperial Customs Service and was appointed to this Post from the afternoon of January 30, 1941. He presented his papers to the Australian Governor General on March 7, 1941.
In 1948, Mr. G. Parameswaran Pillai became Independent India's first Trade Commissioner to Australia and New Zealand.
In April 1968, the name of the Trade Commission was changed to the Deputy High Commission of India.
In January 1973, the Deputy High Commission of India acquired its present name of Consulate General of India, Sydney.
Available records indicate that the Trade Commission was first housed at 39 Martin Place, Sydney. It was then relocated to ‘Caltex House’ in Kent Street, Sydney, from where it moved in the mid-1980s to Walker Street in North Sydney. From 1994 to 2010, the Consulate was located at 25 Bligh Street in Sydney, and later relocated to 190 George Street, before moving to its current address at Level 3, 109 Pitt Street in Sydney.
As per available records, the Heads of Post in Sydney have been as follows:
Jan 1941 - N.A.: Mr. Ramji Ram Saxena
1961-1965: Mr. Girdhari Lal Puri
Mar 1965 - Apr 1969: Mr. Roy Axel Khan
Deputy High Commissioner
Apr 1968 - Aug 1969: Mr. Roy Axel Khan
Aug 1969 - Nov 1971: Mr. Giteshwar Raj
Dec 1971 - Dec 1972: Mr. Jyotirmoy Baruah
Jan 1973 - Jul 1976: Mr. Hari Kishan Mahajan
Jul 1976 - Oct 1979: Mr. Virendra Pal Singh
Dec 1979 - Apr 1983: Mr. Inderjeet Singh Rathore
Jun 1983 - Jul 1986: Mr. Arun Kumar Banerjee
Aug 1986 - Oct 1989: Mr. Vidya Bhushan Soni
Mar 1990 - Nov 1992: Mr. Arif Qamarain
Nov 1992 - Aug 1995: Mr. C. Pathilyil Ravindranathan
Aug 1995 - Mar 2001: Mr. Vijay Kumar
Apr 2001 - Dec 2005: Mr. M. Ganapathi
Jan 2006 - Dec 2008: Mr. Sujan R. Chinoy
Feb 2009 - Jun 2012: Mr. Amit Dasgupta
Jun 2012 - Present: Mr. Arun Kumar Goel